Wednesday 29 October 2008

Exotic

Palmtree
366 challenge: 62 Exotic

This morning, I woke up to news headlines like "the city suffers arctic blast". Being Swedish I can't help but being a little bit amuzed by all the drama every time there is a cold spell around. I remember the first time I heard about these arctic conditions that was about to hit our city. It was in year 2000 and both O, my brother and I, switched on the news to hear about the terrible snowfall, only to be greeted by a News presenter standing at a supermarket parking lot surrounded with ca 1/2 inch (1.5cm) of snow, completely overexcited!

I realize that in a country where "winter wheels" (mandatory special wheels for your car, to be used during the coldest months) hardly exist, any degrees below zero is not to be taken lightly, but still. I can't help but giggle a little bit.

We didn't even notice this arctic blast. Apparently our city had it's first October snow in 74 years. I would have loved to see that, but we went to bed early to watch tv and slept with our window open all night *without noticing these arctic conditions* and this morning, I did my usual bare foot tip-toeing around our little garden patch.

Degrees below zero might be exotic to my fellow city residents, but to me, my garden palm tree is exotic.

3 comments:

Cissi said...

jag känner igen det där! Här blir det totalt kaos _om_ det börjar snöa lite.

Larssons said...

I to love the brittish euforia over an inch of snow. The big freeze was the term they used every now and then. I remember when H was supposed to fly on a trip from Birmingham. When he got there he was told that the airport was closed cause they have used up all the salt the night before....They could cope with one night off freeze but beyond that they were in trouble.

Anna, Fair and True said...

Arctic blaze!! *fnys* :)