Tuesday 10 June 2008

366 challenge 104: Cake - Raspberry and chocolate cake



I made a birthday cake for my dad the other day. I started baking two days in advance, because I wanted to find a lowcarb alternative that was really yummy. I succeded, if I may say so myself, it was absolutely delicious and NOONE would have guessed that the cake had no flour, nor sugar (part from a minimal amount of vanilla sugar)

This is how I did it, by changing some recipes I found at Kolhydrater i Fokus

50g butter, (whip this together with)
2 egg yolkes
1 organic vanilla pod (scape out the seeds of the pod)
4.5 pieces of dark chocolate (melt it in the microwave, I used 70% cocoa chocolate)
100ml whipping cream (pour it in together with the seeds and chocolate)
120g almonds (mixed it to "flour")
1/2 tsp baking powder

Put it in the oven ca 15 min at 175C.

I did 3 of these for the "spounge cake" for the cake.

To the first layer of the cake I mashed raspberries.

For the 2nd layer I did a vanilla creme:

500g mascarpone cheese
4 egg yolks
1.5 tsp organic vanilla sugar (Can just as well use vanilla pod here as well)

Then I covered the cake in well whipped cream and decorated with raspberries.

Here is a picture of a piece:

8 comments:

Julie M said...

Oh my gosh, that looks absolutely delicious! I might have to give that recipe a try. Nice of you to share your creation!

Unknown said...

Sweet Jesus, it sure looks yummy.

Dogeared said...

That cake looks absolutely delicious - and the photos of it are fantastic too (about as close to actually tasting the cake as it possible with a photo ;-) ).

I might well try making that cake this weekend - if I do, would you mind if I include the recipe in a charity cook book we're putting together at work? It's only being sold in the office (and the money will be split between the Devon Air Ambulance and the DIRECT Diabetes charity), but of course I'd give your name credit on the page (as you tweaked the recipe). Depending on how many pennies I have in my wallet (and how much we decide to charge per book), I might even be able to send you a copy of the finished thing! ;-)

This was just quickly checking, before I start my work. I'll properly catch up at lunch/home!

Mia said...

Julie M:

Thank you! Let me know what you think! :)

dossis: MMM and all low carb. ;)

dogeared: Off course you can! If you don't have time to take pictures, please feel free to use mine.

Linda aka Elemobe said...

That looks and sounds wonderful - will probably give that one a try at some point. Almonds work great as a substitute for flour don't they!

Linda Judd said...

Mmmmmmmmm. What a beautiful, yummy piece of cake! And thank you for sharing your recipe. All that time you spent developing the recipe, and you shared it!

Denise Marie Olson said...

oh, this looks just too yummy!!! You've got to submit this to Cooking Light!!!

Lisa B said...

this looks delicious and such beautiful photos!